Welcome to Warm Hearted Wednesday!
Warm Hearted Wednesday Prompt: The Power of Song. What Christmas Song speaks to your heart?
I’m amazed at how powerfully a song can impact our spirits.
A song can make memories or bring back memories–good, bad and even painful. A song can conjure feelings ordinary words can’t. A song has the power to motivate, agitate or soothe. I’m embarrassed to say the waterworks threaten whenever children sing–even if its Annie singing “The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow.”
One Classic Holiday Song that always “gets me right here” (as I tap my clutched fist against my chest) is Nat King Cole’s “Christmas Song.” The combination of majestic orchestration with Cole’s voice is enough to lull me into a hush of reflection; and suddenly I’m carried off on a serene sea of tranquility.
It’s beautiful. You should totally listen to it–it’s one of my favorites.
When it’s all said and done, Cole isn’t actually singing about the true gift of Christmas in any way, shape or form. I immediately begin thinking about my deeply emotional response to the power of music–even music that nothing to do with Jesus. But when it comes to a Christmas song that speaks to my heart with it’s powerful message, I immediately think of “In the First Light” by Travis Cottrell. It is a modern Christmas song that truly celebrates Christ’s birth.
And yes, tears come when I hear this song too. Sometimes it’s that nasty, ugly cry. But in a good way!
Take a listen:
Would you consider sharing one of your favorites with us?
If you’re a blogger, we invite you to write a few words about how it speaks to you and link up. If you don’t blog, that’s okay too! Just leave a link to your favorite song in the comments section below!
Thanks so much for stopping in today!
Merry Christmas to you and yours from all your friends at Ask God Today Ministries!
- Why Do I Really Need Freedom? - July 5, 2017
- Do You Know Who Was the Greatest Father of All? - June 9, 2017
- To the Mom Who is Afraid of Not Being Enough… - May 30, 2017
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017