On August 28, 2015 another student dies. Savannah State University student dies in campus shooting.
Why would someone walk into a school and start shooting?
My heart breaks for the parents of this child and this Seventh grader, and all the kids at the school.
What in the world triggers something so horrible in a 12 or 13 year old student?
DOYLESTOWN, Ohio – Police have confirmed that the man who was found dead in his car in Doylestown on Tuesday stabbed his wife to death in their Springfield Township home in a murder-suicide.
Why would a husband murder his wife and then turn a gun on himself?
Children are abused, wives are beaten, people are molested and raped daily.
Bullies walk into classes, school day after school day, bully another child and never get caught.
Why do drug-addicted women and teenagers too young to get pregnant have children, and some women long for a child but never give birth?
People are starving in third-world countries
and some people discard food every day. How is this fair?
Why did Job in the Bible lose every one of his children, all his belongings and his property?
What was God thinking when He gave Satan permission to do these horrible things to Job?
One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”
Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.” Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”
“Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”
The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.” Job 1:6-22 (NIV)
How does God choose whom to allow these horrific occurrences to happen to? How does this affect us?
- We must never think we are so secure that the storms of life will not hail on us.
- We would be wise to follow God’s ways and not try to do life our own way.
- We will have God’s provision and protection even when we are facing a “Why, God?” situation in our personal lives.
- God always has a purpose and sometimes, as in the case of Job, He had a point to make to Satan. He already knew that Job would not curse Him and that Job’s righteousness would continue forth. But Satan wasn’t so sure.
- Many times God’s purpose in allowing such frightening mishaps to occur is to test His people and build their faith and trust in Him.
- God allows terrible things to happen to make Himself known to people who do not yet know Him.
“God may allow temptations, but He will also always provide a way of escape.”
(1 Corinthians 10:13)
God doesn’t cause devastation; devastation is caused by the evil one, Satan. We live in a world where evil exists every day. God wants to take that evil and turn it around and bring good from it, and His desire is that no one would perish and people would choose to live their lives for Him.
In Job’s instance, God not only did this for His own glory, to show the faithfulness of Job, but He also allowed it for those who would come after Job. God wanted believers to know that He is in control and no matter what we are going through, He sees us, and He will bring good out of every situation.
Why do the good die young and the bitter and ugly keep hurting people?
“In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will . . .” Ephesians 1:11(ESV)
God has a will and a purpose for each of our lives. It is predestined before we are even born. Our days are numbered.
Who are we to question the sovereignty of God?
Yet we do. God is all-knowing. Even when we don’t understand how a young child can be taken from a parent and what possible good could come from something like that, we have to trust that God will work it all out according to His will and purpose.
We have to remember that we are just one person in the universe. While God is working our life out for us, He is also working on the hearts and lives of those around us. He sees the big picture.
Why did the son of God, Jesus, have to die on the cross since He never sinned?
He was a good man, a faithful man, and yet He had to die.
How could God allow this to happen to Jesus? It was terrible. Mary lost her son to death and grieved her loss like any mother would. The devastation would have hit the newspapers if they had newspapers in those days, just like our terrible news is printed in the news now.
But God had a plan of redemption. A plan according to His purpose and His will. No matter what, His plan was going to happen. Jesus had to die so that we may live. Even though Jesus tried to explain this plan to His disciples and the people who loved and followed Him, it didn’t make sense. Just like bad things don’t make sense to us now.
I could go on and on and ask a thousand questions and I am sure you could as well. We don’t understand why God allows evil in the world, why children get hurt and innocent people die. We may never truly understand this side of heaven.
However, while we are living on this earth and God still allows us to breathe and wake up another day, we need to do what the disciples did after the death of Jesus: and go into all the world and tell others about what Jesus victoriously did. It may not make total sense, but God has a purpose and I choose to trust Him.
Do you? If you trust God even through the bad things that happen, would you answer a big hearty “YES” in the comments?
Here is a challenge for you to make something GOOD happen: A-C-T
- Ask God to use you to lead others to Him
- Call someone hurting this week.
- Tell one person this week how God has changed your life.
For more about this subject you can check out David Jeremiah’s thoughts in his post,
Subscribe to Ask God Today
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017
- Do I Really Need Daily and Annual Goals? - January 4, 2017
- Teach Your Children the Importance of Giving - December 12, 2016
- Why Do We Have Family Traditions? - December 7, 2016