by Tammy Karasek
May always brings thoughts of joy and sadness for me. My grandma’s birthday is this month, and she would have been 105 years old tomorrow (5/16/15). I lost her 46 days before her 100th birthday in 2010. I often say, “Oh, if I could just have one more day with my grandma.” So many questions I’d ask, so many things I would love to tell her. I wish she could know what a great example she was to me, how much I truly miss sitting and holding her hand as she tells me a sweet story of “down home.”
My grandma was always such an inspiration to me in my walk with the Lord even when I didn’t understand what her life exemplified to my young heart and mind. She totally lived out the example in Titus Two:
“Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.” (Titus 2: 3-5)
My memory is filled with the lessons taught just by her actions throughout life. Whether we were in the kitchen, visiting with relatives together or just having a one on one conversation, godliness and righteous living poured out of her every word or deed. It’s true–there was no “act”. It was just how she was. She endured many rough times throughout her life and yet I always saw such a positive reaction to them. My grandma wasn’t perfect; she struggled with the things we do, but she always turned back to God for direction. He was truly the compass in her life.
And while my Grandma is temporarily separated from me until I join her in heaven some day, today I will pull out the photo album of my heart and relish in the many, many wonderful memories I have of a woman who loved God and her family with all her heart.
Tomorrow as those memories sneak out of my eyes and run down my cheeks, I will praise God for giving me such a wonderful example of Himself in my life.
What about you? Has someone in your life been the example of a Titus Two woman for you? If so, are they still with you? How about taking a moment and send them a note, give them a call or better yet – go for a visit and tell them what they mean to you. Please let us know in the comments.
- Why Do I Really Need Freedom? - July 5, 2017
- Do You Know Who Was the Greatest Father of All? - June 9, 2017
- To the Mom Who is Afraid of Not Being Enough… - May 30, 2017
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017