One Step into Tomorrow: Goal Setting Made Easy.
by Brenda McGraw
When a blank page is staring you in the face and you know you need to write something but don’t know where to begin, what do you do?
When a dirty house needs cleaning and decluttering, but it is all so overwhelming, where do you start?
When a relationship needs mending, but it’s not your fault, what do you say?
Why do we have such a hard time beginning?
Why do we fear the tomorrows and get paralyzed in the todays of life?
We get stuck on the problem or the plans, instead of the solution or success. We want to see the end results without taking the steps to get there.
Is that just our human nature? Or is it our excuses that don’t allow us to move forward?
I heard recently you couldn’t get to step fifteen without going through step one first. Step one will take you to step two, and then step two will lead you to step three, and so forth. We want to arrive at step fifteen and win the victory without doing the tedious stuff, called work.
I am not sure what your goals are for this coming year or if you even have any. I am not sure if you reached your goals for 2014, or if you set any last year. However, I can assure you God wants to give you the desires of your heart and He has great methods and designs to get you there.
He may lay before you an idea, a thought, a dream or vision and then He waits to see if you are willing to take the steps necessary to move forward into the unknown. If you take step one, He will open the door for the next step.
God doesn’t want you to fail; He wants you to succeed. We all have good intentions, but unless they are followed by obedient actions, then they are only unrealized ambitions.
How ambitious are you? How often do your good intentions put a smile on someone’s face, or make a difference in the life of a friend? How are those ambitions realized because you took the necessary steps forward, one at a time?
In 2014, one of the biggest visions of my life became a reality. I had wondered if it ever would come true. God called me in 2003 to write a book and share my story, and I was beginning to wonder if I had misunderstood what He said. After all, it had been over ten years.
So what changed? God’s calling hadn’t.
In 2003 I got paralyzed and my excuses were, “I don’t know how, God,” and “I don’t even know where to begin.” Do you think God just said, “Okay, Brenda, it’s okay. You don’t have to do anything.” No, I think God waited patiently on me to ready myself for the steps it would take to get to His desired point. He waited for just the right timing He had set forth for me.
He will do the same for you.
To set some goals or steps for 2015, let’s get started:
1. Pray. Pray asking God first what He wants you to do in 2015.
2. Listen. Listen within your heart and mind to what you think you heard God tell you. Jot down everything on a piece of paper.
3. Journal. Find a place in a journal, on your notes on your phone, Evernote – somewhere besides a little piece of paper that will get lost, where you can write everything that you feel God is telling you about 2015.
4. Be specific. Beside everything you wrote, try to elaborate. For instance, if you think God wants you to write a book this year, then write down when you want to have it completed. When we write specific goals, it helps us put steps into action. If you think God wants you to share your faith or start a ministry, be specific – where can you go to share your faith, or what type of ministry will you have?
5. Write the first three steps. Beside each goal, jot down your first three steps. Just three for now. An example of this would be:
Goal – Speaking at Events
- I would like to speak at ladies’ church events, MOPS groups or breakout sessions in ladies’ or writing conferences.
Step 1: Write down a list of local churches and their addresses, and conferences within 200 miles.
Step 2: Create a brochure with your picture and a bio introducing yourself as someone who would
like to speak at their event.
Step 3: Mail or email the brochure.
6. Take action on the steps. Do something to make your goals a reality.
This process will get you started, whatever your goal is, but remember, step one has to come first before you can ever reach your final destiny. The people who put feet to their thoughts are the ones who will walk in the victory of their calling.
I want to encourage you on your journey in 2015. While taking the first step can make all the difference in achieving your goals, there are a few more factors that will help you move forward:
• Stay focused on the Lord and on your goal.
• Be optimistic. Remember, it is a goal and it takes work. If it were easy, you would have already accomplished it.
• Don’t listen to the naysayers. People everywhere want to throw cold water on your dreams. They don’t necessarily mean to, but they don’t recognize your desire or calling.
• Surround yourself with others who are like-minded and have similar goals.
• Serve others. While you are reaching for your dreams and goals, so are others. Help them reach their dreams and calling and guess what – it will come back to you in some way.
• Don’t quit. You can do all things though Christ who strengthens you and, may I add, calls you.
So let’s get started. Step out in faith. This is the week to take the first step into tomorrow. Pray, listen, journal, be specific, write the first three steps and take action.
“Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.” 1 Corinthians 9:25- 27
Can you leave a comment with one goal you have for 2015? I will pray for you.
Would you like to join our 31 day “Way In” challenge beginning January 1, 2015? We will be digging deeper into God’s Word. You can find out more info here.
Thanks for visiting Ask God Today. I would love for you to subscribe to our website so you won’t miss any future Podcasts or blogs from all the great writers here. We have a great time here and I want to get to know you better. You can subscribe here and get a free gift from us.
Don’t let Satan zap your joy. Discover joy beyond the circumstances in your life. Check out my book, “Joy Beyond, 28 Days to Finding Joy Beyond the Clutter of Life” on Amazon here!
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017
- Do I Really Need Daily and Annual Goals? - January 4, 2017
- Teach Your Children the Importance of Giving - December 12, 2016
- Why Do We Have Family Traditions? - December 7, 2016