I am so excited to have Kim Penix with us today. Kim has graciously decided to join the ministry team of Ask God Today Ministries. Kim will also be writing and sharing her stories with us here as well. Please help me welcome Kim today by leaving her a little love in the comments below.
Do you ever feel like you’ve lost your way? When you look around, are you where you thought you’d be or is the location foreign to you?
My husband and I went on a little weekend trip to Kentucky. We had our handy-dandy GPS unit with us. Being from Michigan we were in unfamiliar territory so we needed the guidance.
Numerous times on our trip we found ourselves hearing that familiar voice.
The same thing can happen in our walk with Christ. Life may be moving along as normal. You may be driving down the same roads of routine you take every day. You may even be headed in the very direction you chose for yourself. Then all of a sudden you hear a small voice say “recalculating.”
You have a decision to make. You can choose to alter your course to line up with the new directions OR you can ignore the voice.
The problem is when we ignore the voice we eventually find ourselves far from our desired destination. Now it’s going to take some work and time to get back on track!
God doesn’t forget the destination He has planned for us. Once we turn back to Him and listen to the directions He’s giving us He’ll recalculate our course. We may be so far off that we have to take some less than desirable roads to get to our destination. We may find some mountains we have to navigate. There may even be some roads full of potholes and burned bridges that require us to do some actual road-work before we can continue.
His desire is to get us to where we were supposed to be all along.
So how do we change direction and get back on track?
1. Spend time daily in the word. Psalms 119:104-105 “I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path. Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. A great place to start is in the book of Proverbs. It’s full of practical advice for daily living.”
2. Spend time daily in prayer and stillness before the Lord. Psalms 107:28-30 “Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven.” If you’re not sure where to start with your prayer life remember this acronym P.R.A.Y. – Praise, Repent, Ask, Yield.
3. Surround yourself with godly counsel. Proverbs 19:20-21 “Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Don’t know of anyone you feel you can go to for godly counsel? Seek out a bible believing, bible preaching church in your area. You could also take a trip to your local bible bookstore. You can find a wealth of information from men and women of God on their shelves!
Remember my friend, you’re not alone. Every one of us, no matter how long we’ve been a Christian, will find ourselves hearing that voice telling us to recalculate our steps. Don’t grow weary and don’t quit walking toward His light!
BIO: Kim Penix is a Christ-follower, bible study facilitator, writer, blogger, wife of 25 years, mother to two, and grandma to a 2 year old firecracker born on the fourth of July! In 2011 she stepped away from her career in the financial industry to focus on her health and family. Her new blog, Grace IS Sufficient~finding peace and purpose after diagnosis, is where you’ll find her these days. She writes about her faith, family, home, and health and has a desire to help others live a fulfilled, purposeful life for Christ despite chronic illness.
- Why Do I Really Need Freedom? - July 5, 2017
- Do You Know Who Was the Greatest Father of All? - June 9, 2017
- To the Mom Who is Afraid of Not Being Enough… - May 30, 2017
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017