Dear Father in Heaven…
How many times have you been praying and then before you know it your mind is wandering in all different directions? You start thinking about the things you need to get accomplished, what happened in the office today, or what one of your kids said?
- Attention – Many things are grabbing for our attention
- Distracting – Distracting us from praying with fervency
- Diversions – Following diversions get us off track
I have laid in bed and had great intentions to pray and then my mind starts racing off, thinking about the things that have happened that day. Before I knew it, I was waking up the next morning and apparently had fallen asleep without finishing my prayers.
Prayers that have no particular focus because of distractions that take us off track.
“And when you pray, do not heap up phrases (multiply words, repeating the same ones over and over) as the Gentiles do, for they think they will be heard for their much speaking. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. Praying like this is of course better than not praying at all, but it’s not what God has for us. ” Matthew 6:7-8
“And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.” vs 7
Our minds race off in so many different directions that even when we try to slow them down long enough to pray, they still have a hard time focusing. But, God’s Word tells us not to keep babbling or repeating words over and over.
“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” Matthew 6:6
“The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” James 5:16
So, what does that mean? “The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” James 5:16 NLT When you pray effectively or earnestly, these prayers have GREAT POWER and they produce WONDERFUL RESULTS!
If we want God to hear and answer our prayers with great power and wonderful results, we need to be doing it His way:
Pray like this:
“Our Father in heaven,
may your name be kept holy.
10 May your Kingdom come soon.
May your will be done on earth,
as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today the food we need,[a]
12 and forgive us our sins,
as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
13 And don’t let us yield to temptation,[b]
but rescue us from the evil one.” Matthew 6: 9-13
Ask God Today:
1. To help you keep God’s Name holy! Exalt Him! Praise Him! Adore Him! Thank Him!
2. To help you pray for God’s Kingdom and will to be done here on Earth as it is in Heaven.
3. Ask God to give you what you need today. You may also ask Him for the needs of others.
4. Ask for God’s forgiveness of your sins.
5. Ask for Him to help you forgive those who have sinned against you.
6. Pray God will keep you from temptations and not let you fall into sin.
7. Ask God to rescue you from the hand of the evil one, Satan.
This is the way that Jesus taught us to pray. He should be our example each and every day. It’s simple. We make it more difficult because we are always trying to get it our way. This isn’t Burger King, we can’t always get it our way.
The next time your prayers start wandering in all different directions, pray using the Lord’s prayer. It will help you stay focused on what God wants us to focus on. Yes, He is interested in all the details, big and small in our lives. He already knows what they are.
- Try writing them down in a journal and you will see God is taking care of them for you.
- Try praying first thing in the morning.
- Try praying by bowing down on your knees.
- Try praying before you get in the bed at night.
Photo Source: Sofia.Marie
Please leave a comment and share what has helped you have effective prayers!
- Why Do I Really Need Freedom? - July 5, 2017
- Do You Know Who Was the Greatest Father of All? - June 9, 2017
- To the Mom Who is Afraid of Not Being Enough… - May 30, 2017
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017