“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”
Umm…only half of that statement is true.
Words have power. Power to bring courage and comfort or destruction and death. Power to give encouragement and excitement or power to slander and shame. Power to compliment and cherish or criticize and complain.
Do words matter? Sure they do. We all want to hear words that give us courage, comfort, encouragement, excitement, compliment and words we will cherish.
I want my words to bring life to others. How can we make a difference in someone else’s life? It’s a conscious effort daily to make sure we say words that will bring good to others. My mama used to always say and I’ve told my kids for years, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Eph 4:29
The Keys to Making a Difference With Your Words:
1. Pray for opportunities to make a difference in other’s lives.
2. Be sincere and honest.
3. Be a good finder, looking for good things about people to compliment or encourage them.
4. Be quick to forgive others.
5. Be loving and kind.
6. Be friendly, encouraging and compliment others.
What kind of words have been coming out of your mouth lately?
Are they negative or positive?
We seem to remember what someone says that is ugly or negative, longer than something positive said to us, because we hang onto hurts. Negative words can be critical and can hurt.
However, we are called to be different. We don’t want people to remember us for being mean or critical. We want to leave a legacy of love, kindness and encouragement.
“We can’t praise God one minute and curse man in the next breath.” James 3:9-10
“The mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart.” Matt 12:34
We all fall short and say things occasionally that we wish we could take back. But God is full of grace and forgiveness. If we need forgiveness or help to change, Jesus is the only one who can heal our hearts, and change the words we are thinking and speaking.
My husband was trying to teach our then, 13 year old daughter, how to “hold her tongue” several years ago by literally making her hold her tongue. We as adults might need this physical reminder at times too. Hold your tongue means to stop talking.
So, now, stop what you’re doing and hold your tongue. Go ahead. Do it. Nobody is watching you. Now try to say something. We all need practice. The tongue is a small part of our body, but plays a huge part in what happens in our life, our relationships, our jobs, and our futures.
We, too many times talk before we think, and it needs to be the other way around, think before we talk. How about pray before we talk? Think of what life would be like with less drama, less arguments, less criticism, and less problems. Maybe, once we start praying before we talk we might have more kindness, more peacemaking, more thankfulness, and more happiness.
Here is a great song that talks about the words we use, just thought I would share it. Take a minute and click on the link to listen.
From Above From Below
Happy words Sad words (bitter)
Building up Tearing down
Godly Unwholesome (cussing, rude jokes)
This is just to name a few of the words we hear everyday. You are either building up or tearing down.
Is what we are saying pleasing to our Lord and Savior? Not only do we need to make sure it is pleasing to God, but that we are also sharing His message with others. In obedience to God we need to be using our words to share His message of truth and hope with the world. He is calling all Christians.
Ask God Today:
1. To help you be more like Him.
2. To help you use your words more wisely.
3. To start TODAY by encouraging, complimenting or comforting someone with your words.
Please leave me a comment and share some words of wisdom or how this post may have helped you in someway.
- Why Do I Really Need Freedom? - July 5, 2017
- Do You Know Who Was the Greatest Father of All? - June 9, 2017
- To the Mom Who is Afraid of Not Being Enough… - May 30, 2017
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017