Being scared or fearful of something is downright from the devil. God sure doesn’t give us fear. As a matter of fact, the verse says, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” (2 Timothy 1:7 NLT). But yet, at times we still all get scared or fearful of something. I have shared a few of my fears. Maybe you can relate.
1. Vulnerability scares me. Many times, I share my heart and write it down for the entire world to see. When I hit Post or Submit, it is done. At this particular point, there is no taking it back. I have tried before. But it is still floating around in cyber-space, out there somewhere. I am really an open book and pray God will somehow let my words, my experiences, and my struggles; encourage someone else so they will know, they are not alone. I know, through my vulnerabilities I will grow bolder and stronger. God gives us courage!
2. Cancer scares me. I had Breast Cancer 27 years ago and there has probably not been a year since, I won’t think “what if it ever comes back again?” I don’t sit around scared to death or anything, but, it is probably always in the back of my mind. It is the fear of being sick, of pain and struggling through illness. God is the Ultimate Physician and Healer. He loves us and only wants good for us. He does allow disease, but He promises to bring good to those who love Him! God is faithful!
3. Death scares me. Not my death, because I know where I am going after I die, but the death of the people I love. Losing family members is hard to bear and hurts so deeply. The thoughts of losing my husband or kids is just too devastating to think about. I have already experienced losing both of my parents. God allows death and we have to trust Him even when we don’t understand why He would take someone we love before we are ready to give them up. God is in the valley of death!
4. The lack of money scares me. We put so much emphasis on money in this world. We think
we have to have the best of the best. We are a nation in so much debt, nationally and personally. Then we get scared when we don’t have enough to meet our bills. But yet, we got ourselves in over our heads. It is nobody’s fault but our own. God is my Provider. He gives and He takes away. He wants us to learn contentment in all circumstances. Don’t worry, be happy! God is in control!
When faced with any of these fears or others; which could include divorce, loss of a job, bankruptcy, or any kind of devastation, ask God to:
1. Calm your fears.
2. Direct and guide your steps.
3. Heal you, if it be His will.
4. Comfort you and give you strength.
5. Help you know what to do.
6. Help you trust Him.
If any of the above ever happens to me I may initially be scared or fearful. But as I said earlier, God has not given us a spirit of fear. He doesn’t want us afraid. He gives us power, love and a sound mind! His power is strong enough to face anything you and I fear. His love will carry us through it! He gives us discernment and a sound mind to make good choices and decisions. He prepares you and helps you keep yourself out of the pitfalls of the devil. So what are you afraid of or scares you? Do not fear, God is near! Trust the One with the power to overcome!!
Photo source: Jeff McGraw, Naples, FL
- Why Do I Really Need Freedom? - July 5, 2017
- Do You Know Who Was the Greatest Father of All? - June 9, 2017
- To the Mom Who is Afraid of Not Being Enough… - May 30, 2017
- Do Moms Deserve Our Honor, Respect, and Love? - May 8, 2017
- What Kind of Godly Mom Are You? - May 3, 2017
- I was Finally Forced to Carry the Cross Too - April 14, 2017
- What Do We Do with Jesus? - April 13, 2017
- How to be Godly Parents When we are Busy Raising the Kiddos - March 8, 2017
- Keep Your Heart Happy. 5 Timely Tips to Prevent A Heart Attack. - February 6, 2017
- David’s Secret Life - January 31, 2017